Sunday, November 25, 2007

Shhh...The next episode is about to begin

As if my achievements under Windows were not enough, now the domain of my knowledge acquisition has shifted to Linux (Fedora Core 6, in particular), and how! Today was a landmark day in the migration to Fedora. The dilapidated structure of Fedora 6 (its a very old release; the latest one being Fedora 8) was today strengthened by the addition of 3 great applications:
  1. Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.9
  2. Java EE SDK (JDK+JRE included)
  3. Apache Tomcat 6.x
The applications, in effect have given me the latest browser, the latest enterprise (and JSP )server, and the latest JRE, required by many other applications as well. Tomcat, I suppose, will become redundant, what with EE-SDK taking over all Java development duties. In any case, I've been successfully able to run 2 simultaneous servers on Fedora.

Through the process, I've learnt a lot of new things like tarballs, echo, export, UNIX file system and so on. I am sure this knowledge will come in handy some day. The how-to's will follow:

No comments: