Monday, November 19, 2007

4GB Memory Boost for my cell

The day I've been waiting for, for so long, is finally here. My K790 came bundled with a measly 64 MB memory card, (in addition to 70 MB phone memory), with which I've pulled on for 9 months until now (since March 2007). I always wished to have more memory (everybody does), mainly because this was such an advanced multimedia phone, and that I could do so much with it. But, it was financially unaffordable for me to buy a 2GB card (costing 4,000 Rs. then, and the highest capacity available, to the best of my knowledge). So I waited, and waited more. The prices were coming down steadily. Then the 4GB cards appeared on the market, for about 5,000 Rs. Still too pricey, I thought.

Then there was a jolt. Sandisk released 8GB M2 cards on 18th October 2007. 4GB card prices tumbld down. I planned to buy that 8GB card sometime in March next year. But I put up a discussion on one of the tech forums (http://www.esato.com) regarding the compatibility of this humongous card with my ordinary (:P) cell-phone. To my dismay, I learnt that one smart-ass had contacted Sony Corporation regarding the same, and they had replied that K790 supported only upto 4GB of removable memory.

So, I decided upon buying a 4GB card, sometime, for sure, before I embarked on my IV (Industrial Visit to Delhi-Dehradun, Jan 2008). Then, due to some reasons which cannot be disclosed here, I decided to make a purchase right here, right now. The research had been done for too long (8 months, to be precise). I had tracked the prices for a long time. I knew which deal was VFM and which one was not. I had byhearted the sequence of steps required to go to this particular item on ebay, owing to the innumerable 'wish visits' I had made!

Today, when the day finally came, I just placed the order. I expect the card to be delivered tomorrow, or worst case, the day after, as the seller is in the same city. This card is not just a tiny piece of plastic and silicon measuring 1 sq.cm., its much more than that. How? Read the next post.

No comments: