Monday, November 19, 2007

4GB: Plans (Part 2)

Coming straight to the point, without beating around the bush, here's what I intend to do with my 4GB card:

1. All my media will be consolidated, and kept in a single location, that is, my cell. My songs, photos, videos, and files. No more syncing. There's just one place to find my matter: my cell.

2. I am a big fan of 'organising'. I've already organised my 430 MP3 files into 26 folders (first), for each letter of the English alphabet, and sub-classified into further folders, whenever each folder exceeds a limit of 20 files, that I've set. All this has been done keeping in mind the feeble processing power of a cell-phone, as compared to a desktop PC. This organising has been done quite a few weeks back, and I'm all ready to take the plunge

3. Further, I discovered to 'construct' playlists. Now someone would call that stupid. Playlists are meant to be constructed :P But there are many more things to be taken care of, when you need to transport those playlists between two devices, and more so, something as disparate as a desktop PC and a tiny multi-function cell-phone. Anyway, having discovered how to 'construct' text-file playlists (M3U) exactly tailored to my requirements, I now plan to organise my collection even further, and actually send those playlists to my cell for playback.

4. Another long-pending dream, that of carrying all my memories with me (at least those in the form of pictures). Now, I'll be able to. Earlier, I had tried a mass-transform using Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition software that came bundled in the SonyEricsson PC Suite CD. The mass-transform was to convert 3.2 MP pictures to QVGA (320*240 resolution, the same as my phone's screen size). However, the transform created 'new' files, all bearing the same date of modification. This was a disaster, as my phone's photo album is supposed to show pictures classified by the date on which they were clicked. Now, I think I finally may be able to exploit that feature. Though I doubt how to put 1,000 or more pics in the single 'Camera Album' folder. This procedure is necessary, as it is the only way in which the Timeline View functions. I've tried fiddling with that procedure, already, without success.

5. The songs will take up 2.1 GB, the pics will take 1 GB, the videos 300 MB. Whatever little is left (500 MB or therabout; a 4GB card will always come with a usable space of about 3.7GB) will be used to keep my personal files. However, it is very very important to format the card as soon as it arrives, and transfer a bulk of the files in one go, to prevent them from being fragmented across the card. The major section of songs and pics is intended to be static, that is, no deletion. The remaining space, of videos and files may be reused as required.

No comments: